The Shropshire Safeguarding Partnership (Keeping Adults Safe in Shropshire and Shropshire Safeguarding Children’s Boards) have a shared priority to tackle the exploitation of children and adults who need extra care and support in Shropshire. As such, it is important that knowledge and practice relating to exploitation is joined up and shared across the adult and children’s partnership agencies. As such, the Boards have produced the attached joint Criminal Exploitation and County Lines Learning Briefing for professionals and volunteers working across the adults and children’s workforce to:
- Provide key definitions relating to criminal exploitation, Organised Crime, County Lines and cuckooing.
- Highlight groups at risk of exploitation;
- Outline signs of criminal exploitation and cuckooing;
- Provide advice and guidance on what to do if you are concerned;
- Provide further resources and news articles (local and national), which can be used with people you work with or for yourself.
The briefing is available on both the Keeping Adults Safe in Shropshire Website as a Safeguarding Briefing (http://www.keepingadultssafeinshropshire.org.uk/learning-resources/information-and-learning-resources/safeguarding-briefings.) and Shropshire Safeguarding Children’s Board Website “What’s New?” Page (http://www.safeguardingshropshireschildren.org.uk/whats-new.)
The Home Office have also recently updated their County Lines guidance which supplements this learning briefing. The guidance is available here: https://tinyurl.com/ya8p2mss . Alongside the guidance, there are resources (available here: https://tinyurl.com/yblt79gu) to help policing and statutory staff recognise the signs to look out for, that could indicate that someone is a victim of county lines gangs.
The Home Office is also raising awareness of county lines across a range of non-statutory sectors. They have developed resources for:
- Private security sector: https://tinyurl.com/yb67rpno
- Licensed taxi and private hire company staff: https://tinyurl.com/y8oy3yyl
- Bus and coach company staff: https://tinyurl.com/ybojbbpm
- Train operating company staff: https://tinyurl.com/ycl2ywqt and,
- Private landlords and letting agents: https://tinyurl.com/y95njpy9
Materials for the social housing sector are currently being developed and will be available shortly.
Further information about the Shropshire Safeguarding Partnership Exploitation priority will be available at our Joint Board’s Exploitation Conference in November.